To ensure the health and safety of the public, the City of South Salt Lake requires that certain construction work can be performed only after a permit is obtained. Plans are reviewed prior to issuance of the permit for compliance with the current building codes. The work is then inspected during construction to confirm adherence to the approved plans and codes. A Certificate of Occupancy or approved final inspection is issued when the work is completed and in substantial compliance with code requirements.
When is a building permit required?
- New Buildings
- Tenant Improvements
- Renovations (basement finishes, kitchen expansions, roofing, etc.)
- Electrical Installations (service upgrades, meter change, new branch circuits, etc.)
- Plumbing Installations (gas lines, drain piping, water lines, etc.)
- HVAC Installations (heating, ventilation, cooling, etc.)
- Structural Modifications
**If you are unsure whether a permit is required or not, please call our office staff**
What information do I need for a building permit application:
- General Contractor contact information and State License #
- All Subcontractor contact information and State License #'s (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing)
- Architect contact information
- Current property owner information
- Business owner information (**Location must have SSL Business License**)
Checklist of items to submit with building permit application:
- Submit complete application (hard copy to office only)
- Pay plan check fee
- TWO paper copies of plans
- ONE digital copy of plans on CD only (emails not accepted)
It is the applicant's responsibility to provide a complete application. South Salt Lake will review all complete applications within 15 business days. Reviews will be sent via email to the contact listed on the permit application. It is the applicants responsibility to make any revisions necessary.
Predevelopment Consultations (**Optional**)
To aid you in navigating the development and permit process, South Salt Lake offers predevelopment consultants on Wednesday afternoons, by appointment. This is your opportunity to meet with a Planner, a Building Inspector, an Engineering inspector, and the Fire Marshal.
Please fill out and submit the Predevelopment Meeting Application. Complete applications must be submitted via hard copy to our office. If you have any questions, please contact Jeff Attermann at 801.412.3224.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How long does it take to process a building permit application? SSL will review and provide feedback within 15 business days. It is the applicants responsibility to provide a complete application and respond to comments accordingly. Applications are only valid for 180 days.
May I start construction prior to my permit being approved? No, any project that starts work without a permit may be subject to citation and double fee on application.
Do I need an inspection with my building permit? Yes, all permits require inspection. Please call 801.483.6032 to schedule.