Cherie Wood is the current Mayor and a lifelong resident of the City of South Salt Lake. After starting a family and becoming a working mother, she realized that she needed to prepare her kids and family for the future and began attending college in the evenings and weekends. She received dual Bachelor Degrees from the University of Phoenix in both Business Management and Business Administration.
Cherie worked for the city for 16 years before she was elected as Mayor. In 2009, when Mayor Bob Gray decided to retire from public service, she ran a successful campaign to become Mayor, winning 66% of the vote. Her positive messaging and call for progress inspired her community and in turn, inspired her to become a Mayor for the people. She has prioritized initiatives and projects that make a difference in everyday lives, proving that true leaders are compassionate and committed.
Cherie is a mother of three boys, and juggles the crazy schedule of those responsibilities with grace. She is admired by both her family and her employees for her truly inspired leadership. She leads with insight, hope, intelligence, patience and heart. Her motto, “What I wish for myself and my family, I wish for everyone in my community” exemplifies her approach. She is Mayor for a purpose greater than herself... She simply cares.
Cherie was elected for a second term as Mayor on November 5, 2013 and is running for a third term in 2017.
B.S. Business Management, 2007, University of Phoenix
B.S. Business Administration, 2007, University of Phoenix
Graduate of Granite High School, 1991
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Best of State Elected Official: South Salt Lake Mayor Cherie Wood, 2012 and 2013
- 100 Best Communities in America for Youth to Live, Learn and Grow by America’s Promise Alliance, 2012
- Community Development Award, National Association for County Community & Economic Development, 2012
- Top 15 U.S. Dept. of Education 21st Century Afterschool Programs in the U.S., Hser Ner Moo Center
- Top Citywide Afterschool Program Model in Utah, Utah Afterschool Network
- University of Phoenix National Icon: Mayor Cherie Wood 2011
- 30 Women to Watch: Mayor Cherie Wood, Utah Business Magazine, 2011
- Worker’s Advocate Award: Mayor Cherie Wood, Utah AFL-CIO, 2013
- United Way of Salt Lake's Change Maker 2016
- United Way of Salt Lake
- First Tee of Utah
- Utah League of Cities and Towns
- Utah After School Network
- Salt Lake County Cultural Facilities
- Utah Community Action Program